Trick or treating with a preschooler can be difficult. The weather may turn cold, October could welcome several inches of snow, and a late night for little ones can cause meltdowns. Not to mention the large amount of sugar children receive and having to dodge the many excited older children on the street; trick or treating on Halloween can quickly go from fun to done. Don’t stress! Below is a list of preschool friendly alternatives to traditional trick or treating:
– Bean Bag Toss– Create a bean bag or ball toss using shower loofas or several pairs of balled up socks. Children take turns throwing the “ball” at several “targets” (you can use empty garbage cans, laundry baskets, or create circles on the ground using tape!)
– Face Painting– Make dressing up for Halloween part of your carnival by creating clever designs or characters. Keep the paints nice and clean between children by spraying some rubbing alcohol on them (if they’re the stick or crayon type) and wiping them with a clean tissue.
– Parachute– Create your own “parachute” using a sheet or tablecloth. Place small stuffed animals, loofas or balled up socks in the center. Hold the edges of the “parachute” and work as a team moving it up and down!
– Piñata– Create your own Halloween piñata in advance by using paper-mâché, a balloon and some paint; or purchase from a local store. Fill the piñata with non-candy treats or homemade items and hang it at an age appropriate height. Have the children take turns trying to hit the piñata using a wooden spoon (or whatever is available around the house).
– Craft Tables– Decorate your own mini pumpkin or scavenger hunt bag using paint, markers, stickers or glue on household items like buttons or dried pasta. Children may also enjoy decorating healthy cookies or muffins. Whip some cream to frost your creation and try using dried fruit to decorate!
Enjoy these trick or treating trade-ins and have a healthy, safe, and active Halloween!
- Educator (SK)
I set up a LEAP area so kids can start doing the activities on their own!