Gingerbread is a comforting food for winter. Including apple makes this recipe extra moist and extra healthy, and molasses is a source of iron. Serve this gingerbread as a snack with applesauce, or as a dessert with real whip cream.
What you need:
- 2 cups All-purpose flour (or try a blend of 1 cup all-purpose and ¾ cup of whole grain flour)
- ¼ cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Ground ginger
- ½ tsp. Ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. Ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ cup Butter or margarine
- 2 Eggs ½ cup Molasses
- ⅓ cup 2% milk
- 1 Medium apple, peeled and grated
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C).
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, eggs, and molasses. Stir in dry ingredients, a little at a time, alternating with small additions of milk. Fold in apples. Pour into greased 13”x9” baking pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack before cutting into 15 pieces.