Grand Price Winner – 2016 Healthy Start Recipe Challenge
What you need:
- 2 cans black beans, drained, rinsed and mashed*
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 4 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line two 8-inch (20 cm) square metal baking pans (or one larger pan) with foil, leaving a 2-inch overhang at opposite ends. Lightly spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. With a wooden spoon, beat in eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until just a few moist crumbs cling to a tester inserted in the centre. Do not over-bake. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. Using foil overhangs as handles, remove from pan and transfer brownies to a cutting board. Cut into squares.
*To mash beans, put in food processor. Add a little water if it won’t purée.
Submitted by: Playcare Children’s Services Inc, Kindersley, SK
Recipe modified from Ontario Public Health Association, Nutrition Resource Centre: Bake it up!