What you need:
- 1 cup basmati or long grain rice
- ½ cup small yellow lentils
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. non-hydrogenated margarine
- Wash rice and lentils together a few times until the water is clear. Soak for at least an hour or overnight.
- Wash rice and lentil mixture one more time and place in a large pot to boil with three or four cups of water.
- Once the mixture boils, add vegetables and salt. Lower heat to medium and cook for about 25 minutes, until soft. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from heat and add margarine.
Serves four to six children.
*Reference: LEAP Food Flair, Legacies Now, p. 167.