- 2/3 cup shredded coconut
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pellet-like bran cereal
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup lentil puree*
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Make sure rack is in centre of oven.
- In medium bowl, mix coconut, oats, brown sugar, cereal and cinnamon.
- Add lentil purée, oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Spread over a 10 ½ x 16 (25 x 40 cm) non-stick cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. While bars are still warm, add chocolate chips, dried cranberries or raisins on top and cut into 35 bars.
*Lentil Puree: Rinse and drain a 19-ounce can of lentils. Place in food processor, add ¼ cup hot water, and puree until the mixture is very smooth, adding more water in small amounts to reach desired consistency, similar to baby food, about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. Refrigerate or freeze unused lentil puree for your next batch!