What you need:
- 1 slice of whole grain bread, crusts removed and torn into pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 lbs (1 kg) ground veal, pork or chicken
- 2 tsp. dry parsley
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with a garlic press or ¼ tsp. dry garlic
- 2 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or ½ tsp. dry garlic
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 24 veal meatballs, fresh or frozen
- 2 cups spaghetti squash cooked and shredded with a fork (about 1/2 squash)
- 2 cups lightly packed spinach
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven at 375 degrees. Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven’s broiler. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on its size, or until tender. Let cool. Shred the flesh with a fork. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the bread with the milk and let soak for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients from the meatballs section and mix well with your hands. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a small ice cream scoop or with lightly oiled hands, shape each meatball with about 1 tbsp. of the meat mixture. Place on the baking sheet.
- Grill the meatballs in the oven, one sheet at a time, for about 10 minutes or until cooked and golden brown, stirring halfway through cooking. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and meatballs and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the squash and spinach. Bring to a boil and serve.
To freeze the remaining meatballs, place them (cooked) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover and freeze for about 4 hours or until the meatballs are frozen. Then place the meatballs in sealable freezer plastic bags.