What you need:
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 5 tsp. Lemon juice or cider vinegar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup grated carrots
- Non-stick vegetable cooking spray
How to :
- Make sour milk. Warm the milk slightly in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. Add lemon juice or cider vinegar and stir well. Allow this mixture to rest while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir well.
- Add the vegetable oil, sour milk, egg and carrots.
- Beat the mixture with a hand beater until smooth.
- Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray. Heat griddle to a medium heat. (To see if the griddle is hot enough, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, the temperature is just right).
- Using a measuring cup, pour about ¼ cup of batter onto the hot griddle for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Top with applesauce, fresh fruits or yogurt.
Makes 16, four inches (10 cm) pancakes.
*Source: LEAP – Food Flair, Legacies Now, p. 155-156.