Miniature Brownies (Gabrielle’s Favourite)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 oz semisweet chocolate
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup flour
- 24 chocolate Rosebuds
- In a saucepan, melt sugar, butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring, until chocolate is just melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 1 minute.
- Blend in vanilla and egg; gently fold in flour until blended.
- Spoon into tiny baking cups.
- Bake at 350o F in oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven; set a Rosebud on top of each. Let cool.
Makes 24 brownies
Source: The Canadian Living Christmas Book
Lentil Soup (Stephanie’s Favourite)
- 2 cups of lentils
- 8 cups of fresh water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 20 oz can of tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. vinegar
- A pinch of oregano
- Wash lentils, and then add to 8 cups of water in a large pot.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 ½ hours.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar and oregano.
- Simmer for a few minutes more before serving.
Cheesy Artichoke and Bean Dip (Holly’s Favourite)
- 1 can (19 or 15 oz) of cannellini (white kidney) beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Coat a 2- to 3-cup baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Place the beans, artichoke hearts, garlic, mayonnaise, cayenne pepper and black pepper in a food processor. Process until almost smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the processor bowl once or twice. Transfer to a medium bowl. Site in 2/3 cup of the Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest. Scrape into the baking dish and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tbsp. of Parmesan.
- Bake the dip, uncovered, for 20–25 minutes or until it is heated through. Serve warm with whole grain pita chips, whole grain crackers, or veggies.
Little Date Balls (Mélissa’s Favourite)
- 2 cups of dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 cups of melted butter
- ½ cup of almonds or pecans, finely chopped
- ½ cup of crisped rice cereal (Rice Krispies)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Unsweetened shredded coconut
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, heat the butter, egg and dates for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add in the almonds/pecans, Rice Krispies and vanilla extract. Mix well (if the mixture does not easily run, put into a blender for a couple seconds).
- Wet your hands with cold water and make round balls about a tablespoon in size (CAUTION: the mixture will still be hot), then roll the balls in the unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate the balls until they are firm enough to eat. Keep in the refrigerator.
The recipe makes about 14 balls. Enjoy!
Baked Oatmeal with Fruits (Allysha’s Favourite)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in milk eggs, melted butter, and vanilla extract. Stir in dried cranberries.
- Spread into 9 x13 inch baking dish.
- Add fruit, any fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
Source: CHEP – Good Food Inc.
Low-fat turkey gravy (Marie-Lynne’s Favourite)
- 4 cups unsalted turkey stock, divided
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, remove from stem and finely chop
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme, remove from stem and finely chop
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Place turkey stock in a saucepan on the stove top over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Add sage and thyme to the simmering stock. Continue to simmer until the stock is reduced by 1/4, or until about 3 cups of stock remain.
- Pour milk into a small bowl. Add cornstarch and stir to mix evenly.
- Slowly pour milk mixture into the simmering stock, stirring slowly.
- Bring sauce to a boil and continue to stir until stock thickens and has a nice shine, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy into warmed gravy boat and serve.
Squash recipe (Stephanie’s Favourite)
- 1 medium squash (acorn or butternut)
- 10 fresh sage leaves chopped roughly or 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 2-3 red chilies sliced thinly fresh or 1 tsp. dried chili flakes (vary the amount of chilies depending on your desired level of spiciness)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Chop the squash into 3/4 inch slices and place in single layer on a pan.
- Combine olive oil, sage, chilies and garlic for seasoning.
- Drizzle the seasoning over squash until coated.
- Roast uncovered for 30-45 minutes. Enjoy!
Note: If baked uncovered the squash will blacken, it can be covered depending on preference.
Source: James Del Frari and Jamie Oliver, http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/rice-recipes/roast-squash-sage-chestnut-and-pancetta-risotto/
Grilled Chicken Sandwiches (Mélissa’s Favourite)
- 1- 1/2 cup of cooked chicken, minced
- ½ cup of low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 green onion, chopped finely
- 1 small celery stalk, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Whole-wheat bread slices
- In a mixer, put in the cooked chicken, celery stalk, green onion, mayonnaise, salt and pepper.
- Reduce the mixture until all the ingredients are finely chopped.
- Spread the mixture on the bread slices to make the sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.
- Put the sandwiches in a Panini grill until the bread turns golden brown.
Note: The sandwiches can also be grilled in a regular pan if you do not have a Panini grill.
Wild Rice Casserole (Stephanie’s Favourite)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. basil
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 cups mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- Soak rice for 30 minutes.
- Drain the wild rice and combine with stock in a saucepan.
- Add salt and basil in a saucepan for 45 minutes.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions in butter.
- Combine rice, mushrooms, onions and seasoning.
- Bake everything together for 30 minutes at 350° F.
Chili (Mélissa’s Favourite)
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 5-10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can stewing tomatoes (low sodium)
- Chicken broth (low sodium), to taste
- 3 tsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- Cook meat in pot.
- Add all veggies and cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes and chicken broth and then the spices.
- Simmer for 45-60 minutes.
Note: Can also be made in the crock pot.